The Piano Competition at St George’s College is now in its fifth year. Generously sponsored by Zenith Music and Snadens Pianos, the competition began as an intercollegiate event, however is now open to include all students currently enrolled at any university in Western Australia. Students of any discipline of study are eligible to compete in the competition. This means the music majors will compete against the doctors, lawyers and engineers to take out first prize! No doubt there is immense undiscovered talent in W.A. and this is your chance to show us what you’ve got!
The competition will take place in three stages:
1. Preliminary Round: Submission of a 5-10 minute video recording via YouTube
2. Semi-Finals: Competitors may be selected to perform in the Semi-Finals, which will be held in the St George’s College Dining Hall
3. Finals: Up to 6 contestants will then be selected to perform in an open public concert in the St George’s College Concert Series
- Applicants will submit a 5-10 minute video recording of themselves via YouTube as the preliminary round. This should be comprised of one or two contrasting solo pieces. Videos must be unedited, and shot in a single take showing the keyboard, torso, and head of the performer in profile view.
- Successful applicants will be selected to perform in the Semi-Final Round, which will be held in the St George’s College Dining Hall.
- Four contestants will then be selected to perform in the Finals Round which will be an open public concert in the St George's College Concert Series in October.
- The judges’ decision in awarding prizes is final, and no discussion will be entered into with regard to the distribution of prizes.
Information for applicants about repertoire requirements and the audition recording can be found in the accompanying application form.
DEADLINES & DATES
Monday 3rd September: Application documentation due. Submit to email@example.com by 4:00PM
Friday 7th September: Videos must be uploaded to YouTube by 4:00PM.
Monday 10th September: Successful applicants will be notified via email, with further information regarding Semi-Finals procedure and timeslots for warm-up and performance.
Sunday 7th October: Semi-finals held at St George’s College (Dining Hall) at 3pm. Finalists will be announced immediately following the Semi-final round.
Saturday 13th October: Competition Finals held as an open public concert from 7.30pm, in St George’s College Dining Hall. Prize winners will be awarded their prizes at the end of the competition
- All decisions made by the competition judges are final.
- Judges reserve the right to stop any performance that exceeds the allocated time limit.
- Performance order for the Semi-Final Round will be determined randomly once entries have closed. Contestants will then be notified of their performance time.
- Contestants are required to arrive at the Competition Venue, at St George’s College, Mounts Bay Road, at least 15 minutes prior to their performance time. A warm up room will be made available for contestants’ use.
- Please notify the Music Office (08 9449 5991) immediately should you wish to withdraw from the competition. This courtesy will ensure the competition continues to run smoothly for all other contestants.